Jump to Navigation

Obtaining a Card

Anyone obtaining a University ID Card for the first time must show a valid U.S. ID or passport.

You can obtain a University ID Card from the ID Center in 204 Kent Hall.

Current students, faculty and staff with valid, non-expired ID cards may change their ID photos at any time. A $20 fee will apply.

If you have any questions, please write to us at idcard@columbia.edu or call us at 212-854-7225.


New students should visit the New Student ID Cards page.

Note: If you are a new student at Barnard or Union Theological Seminary, be sure to bring the appropriate form with you in order to be issued an ID card.

Faculty & Staff

If you are a newly hired faculty or staff member who does not already have a UNI, be sure that your department has entered you into the DIA database before you visit the ID Center.

New faculty and staff who have UNIs (for example, students who are hired as full-time staff) may visit the ID Center as early as their first day of work.

If you are a current faculty or staff member whose ID card has expired, there is no fee for a replacement. You may also have your photo re-taken at no charge when you renew your ID.

Contractors, Casual Workers, Visitors and Alumni

The cost for contractor, casual worker, and visitor IDs is $20 each, payable using MasterCard, Visa, or University ARC chart string.

If your department will be paying via ARC chart string, please have them download this form, fill it out and add it  to departmental letterhead. Bring the completed form on letterhead with you to the ID Center.

Alumni can obtain an Alumni Reading Card from the Library Information Office in Butler Library, Room 201. There is a $5 fee for an Alumni Reading Card.